One thing I have taught my students at my local public school is that learning can take place anywhere! I give them many learning experiences OUTSIDE the classroom on purpose so they understand that field trips, outdoors, gym, library, home, etc. are ALL great places to learn! This can also be done in your home. Although I have dedicated a special area in our home I call "school" it doesn't mean we won't have learning experiences in other places in our home or outside of our home!
I recognize from having a degree in early childhood education that PLAY is super important to learning. I provide my toddler with many opportunities to play and pretend. Although, I also believe that a young child can begin to learn basic skills with additional guided learning activities too. For that reason I set up "school!"
*The components in our school currently include...
1. Bible books basket (all these books correlate with biblical learning)
2. Many different genre's of board books to look at, read aloud, touch, and interact with
3. Several alphabet books and interactive alphabet toys
4. Coloring tub filled with crayons, large white paper, & a coloring book
5. Learning colors board books
6. "Melissa and Doug" Puzzles
7. Seasonal books and decorations
This is just the start to our school. More items will be added especially in the math content area (numbers & shapes). *I plan to write about the specific components in our school and how we use them, stay tuned!