Yes, 25 wrapped books. Each book is a Christmas themed book. Some include traditional stories like The Nutcracker, The Night Before Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, and A Christmas Carol. Some are activity books, music books containing Christmas carols, and most are of the true meaning of Christmas JESUS!
Collecting 25 Christmas books could be expensive so I shopped at used book sales, garage sales, Resale Shops (Salvation Army), and Mom2Mom sales. Anytime I found a Christmas related book I purchased it! Books cost me between ten cents to one dollar. When it came time to wrap I had collected over 25 books and I was able to choose the best ones.
How To Make Your Own Count Down to Christmas...
- Collect 25 Christmas themed books
- Choose a wrapping paper to match your Christmas home decor (I found my wrapping paper at my local dollar store. I choose 2 different paper prints and alternated them)
- Wrap each individual book (if you want your books in a particular order you may want to number the backs or stack them in the order you want them to be opened. For example "The Twelve Days of Christmas" I wanted to be opened on day twelve)
- Die-Cut a Christmas shape (I choose a white Christmas tree to match my wrapping paper)
- Number your Die-Cut shapes 1-25
- Tape your Die-Cut shape to each wrapped book
- Pick out a place to display your Countdown (I chose our buffet in our kitchen but you may place them on your fireplace mantel or even in a book basket if space is limited)
- On December 1st allow your child to unwrap the first book (book #25) and read together as a family (this might be your bedtime story or a read-aloud story to start off your day!)
- Continue your opening & reading, counting down all the way to Christmas!! Happy Reading!
"I don't have 25 Christmas books this year" -- It doesn't have to be Christmas themed books, wrap up any books in your home for fun!
"I don't have time or patience to wrap 25 books" -- Use a gift bag instead! You may use multiple gift bags and have a treasure hunt in your home for them or simply re-use one gift bag and change the book each day!
What a great way to celebrate Christmas and the joy of reading in your home! I'd love to hear if you will be doing the Christmas reading countdown with me!