For Christmas my husband constructed a play kitchen for our children! I mentioned this project in the, "Term Two" post and have been wanting to post our before and after pictures! This has added a wonderful learning through play activity in our home!
Ideas of how to learn through play using a play kitchen...
- Sort pretend food into food groups (fruits, bread, meat, goodies, etc.)
- Name the pretend food
- Sort pretend food by color
- Practice using manners, "May I have an apple please? Thank you... Your Welcome."
- Set a timer to cook food, review the numbers on the timer
- Practice opposites such as open/close, top/bottom, on/off
- Use cooking words like stir, measure, mix, or pour
- Involve sensory play with water by washing the dishes then drying
- Play dress-up by using a chef's hat or apron
- Teach your child how to set a table with pretend dishes and silverware
- Invite other children over to play with the kitchen and teach taking turns/sharing
- Allow independent uninterrupted play!
Happy Learning through PLAY!